Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Day 4

Each day this whole unprocessed thing gets easier and easier. I mean, it's still kind of a pain in the ass to make everything from scratch, but it's also kind of fun and gives the toddler something to help with. She is getting to be a master at dumping flour onto the floor and getting a small amount into the mixing bowl.

My number one miss so far were baked potato chips. I suck at those. My poor husband actually ate them and I still feel like I can't get the nasty taste out of my mouth three days later. I bought a 5lb bag of potatoes, so I will be attempting these bad boys again. I don't like to lose. Especially to an inanimate object. I will prevail.

Yesterday I did perhaps the most disturbing thing I've ever done in my life, and I went to Chico State, so this is saying a lot, I made chicken stock. For those of you who don't know, I don't eat meat. Fish is the exception and if I ever stop running and lifting weights, I will go without fish, but meeting my protein requirements by eating nuts and beans just doesn't do it for me. Anyhow, I don't want to push my agenda on anyone, let alone my children. (Side note: I want my kids to grow up experiencing life and making their own decisions on big things like religion and whether or not to eat animals). Back to this "young" chicken (which, I could have done without the label because I don't really need or want to know that I am feeding an adolescent to my family), I bought a two pack of organic, vegetarian, free range little guys from Costco. After consulting my wonderful friends (Lindsay, Rhiannon and Jasmine..holler!!) I went the slow cooker route. Super easy, folks! And Norah actually ate it! She usually prefers her chicken breaded and deep fried. The dogs loved the skin and Matt said it was good, too! Here is the recipe:

Get a slow cooker. Cut a few slices of a white onion, leaving it in rings, and place those babies on the bottom of the cooker. Smash a few garlic cloves and take the peels off, then put those on top of the onions. Put the little bird directly on top of that with a decent sized pat of butter on top. Salt and pepper (or any other spices you like) and cover. Turn that bad boy on low and cook for 6-8 hours.

When you come back from whatever it is you do all day, dinner will be ready and the meat will just fall off the bones. Then, in an effort to use every part of the animal, return the bones (I kept the vertebrae out because it was just too sad) to the chicken juice and add some water. I put 5 cups in, but have yet to have someone taste the juice, but the color looks good. Add some carrots, celery, and any other vegetables you fancy. Let it cook for another several hours, we did 10 and let it warm until I woke up this morning, then strain out the gross part so you just have liquid. Pour it into a jar, or three, and spoon out as much of the fat on top as you can. There you go, broth!

I never in my life thought I would be posting a recipe for meat. Ever. But, it's super easy and the family is eating it, so I want to help some fellow parents and busy people out!

Now for some fitness tips:
Want to get rid of your FUPA? Get a yoga mat or blanket folded a few times long enough to lay on, and sit on it with the bottoms of your feet touching (butterfly legs). Keeping your legs where they are, lay on your back with your hands up over your head. Now, leading with your arms, bring your torso up and reach your hands past your butterfly legs, using your core to bring your upper half up. Return your back and shoulders to the mat and hands over head in a slow and controlled motion. That was one rep. Do 25. Eventually, you'll want to work up to 75. Your butt should remain on the ground the whole time.

Happy Day!

p.s. sorry for the abundance of parentheses. Apparently I like them today.

No comments:

Post a Comment